Stars and Stripes Festival
Chesapeake Beach and North Beach pay tribute to all who have served. Decorate your home, business or boat in red, white and blue for a prize.
• Friday, Stroll Chesapeake Beach and maybe appear on live television as the FOX DC crew captures preparations for the Beaches Stars and Stripes Festival. 7-10am (during the Fox morning show).
• Friday thru Monday, visit the Wall that Heals, a 50-foot trailer that opens to a mobile museum telling the story of the Vietnam War in historical and cultural context. See photos of service members whose names are on The Wall, and letters and memorabilia left at the Wall, as well as a map of Vietnam and chronological overview of the conflict (Chesapeake Beach Town Hall parking lot).
• Saturday opening ceremony features the U.S. Navy Band Brass Quintet (10am; Veteran’s Memorial Park, Chesapeake Beach). Nam Knights stage a Mini Rolling Thunder (1:30pm).
• Sunday, Kellam’s Field turns festive with a moon bounce, slides, live music, super heroes, military displays and festival fare including snow cones and cotton candy (10am). The first 80 active military members who rsvp take a free moonlight cruise aboard Miss Chesapeake departing Rod ‘N’ Reel (6pm). Twin Beach Players presents a reenactment of Bob Hopes USO Radio Broadcast (7pm: $15 at Chesapeake Beach Town Hall or at www.chesapeake-beach.md.us/events_cbssf.ht). The night ends with Wesley Spangler and the Sam Grow Band at Kellam’s Field.
• Monday, hear the Chesapeake Community Chorus sing (10am) and join a National Moment of Silence and closing memorial ceremony at Veteran’s Memorial Park. (3pm): 410-257-2230; www.chesapeake-beach.md.us.