The How-To Cowboy
Secret, Magic How-To Fun Tricks
Do you believe in three? You will as you baffle your friends with these three tricks from the How-To Cowboy himself, Edward Allan Faine
How to Baffle Your Friends (Rule of 3)
1) Write You Chose Three on a strip of paper. Fold it up.
2) Tell your friend to hold the folded paper in her right hand, but not to look at it.
3) Ask your pal, Choose a number, one, two or three. Quickly add, But dont tell me, just nod when youve picked the number.
4) Say, Now, look at the paper. Watch her mouth drop. Shell ask, Howd you know? Tell her, Im a clairvoyant. (Tell her to look up the word in the dictionary).
5) Approach another friend. Hand him the same folded strip of paper.
6) Show him another piece of paper with the numbers one, two, three and four written on it.
7) Ask him to circle one of the four numbers.
8) Say, Now look at the folded paper. His eyes will pop, and hell shake his head in disbelief, and ask if you are clairvoyant. You nod.
9) Shove three grapes, checkers, marbles or whatevers in front of another buddy. Number the objects one, two, three. Hand him the folded paper as before, then say, Pick one.
10) Ask him to read the folded paper. Watch his left eyebrow arch.
11) Beware of those who pick a number other than three. Keep your eyes on them.
Kids Cabaret - Aug 3-5 (F, 7pm, Sa, Sun 1pm, 3:30 pm) Kick up your heels and join in the Teddy Bear Tango; lift your voice and sing to A Stinky Song! This annual on-stage production features space aliens, a circus, rock and roll, cowboys, and more. Songs poems and skits by Joe Thompson. Colonial Players. free, rsvp: 410/268-7373.
Dreaming in the Park - Sat., Aug 4 (6pm) Feast your eyes on the Chesapeake Youth Players outdoor performance of A Mid-Summers Night Dream. Bring a lawn chair or blanket and a picnic dinner, if you wish. Kings Landing Park. $5 w/discounts: 410/257-2554.
Take Tea with Tacky Sat., Aug 4 (10am) One lump or two? Meet Tacky the Penguin from the books by Helen Lester at the annual Back to School Tea Party. Wear your tackiest outfit! Ages 5-10 Mountain Road Branch Library: 410/222-6737.
Swimmy and Friends - Aug. 1&4 (10-11 am, 2-3 pm) Come explore the underwater world of minnows. How do they get around? Why are they always with other minnows? Find out the answer to these questions, read a story and end with a swimmy snack. Ages 3-5. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp: 410/535-5327.
Backyard Bugs Fri., Aug. 10 (10 am) Author Debbie Grout talks about her new treasured memories book, Bugs In My Backyard. Bring some photos to make your own scrapbook craft. Barnes and Noble, Annapolis: 410/573-1115.
You can meet the How-To Cowboy at the North Beach Town Festival, Aug. 25-26!
Take on the How-To RanchHand Challenge: Send a unique How-To trick to IM Press, Box 5346, Takoma Park, MD 20913 with step-by-step instructions and, If accepted, you will see your trick published in this space, and receive a LITTLE NED STORIES book and a $10 check.
Visit The How-To Cowboy, aka Edward Allan Faine at his website: http://www.takoma.com/ned/home.htm