Volume XI, Issue 37 ~ September 11-17, 2003

Current Issue
This Weeks Lead Story
Dock of the Bay
Letters to the Editor
Bay Reflections
Burton on the Bay
Chesapeake Outdoors
Sky and Sea
Not Just for Kids
8 Days a Week
Bayweekly in Your Mailbox
Print Advertising
Bay Weekly Links
Behind Bay Weekly
Contact Us

Powered by

Search bayweekly.com
Search WWW

Not Just for Kids

The How-To Cowboy Presents:
Another Secret, Magic How-To Fun Trick

Writer Louis Llovio was flabbergasted by editor Sandra Martin’s ability to guess his birthday month.
How to Guess a Persons Birthday
Can you guess someone’s birthday? Well, not exactly. But you can come very, very close. Here’s how:

1. First, write the month, September, on a piece of paper; the day, Wednesday, on another. Fold them up.

2. Say to an acquaintance, preferably a stranger, “I can guess your birth month within two months.” They’ll likely respond, “I don’t think so.”

3. Challenge the skeptic. “Okay, I’ll bet you a nickel. I’ll guess your birth month plus or minus two months.” This time the person will take you on. The lure of untold riches will do it every time.

4. Hand the nonbeliever the folded paper. Watch for dropping mouth drop as it’s unfolded. Your skeptic will exclaim, “My birthday’s August. You win!” Extend hand for nickel. (This happens 60 percent of the time; the other 40 percent ... well, be prepared to hand over a shiny buffalo. Hey, nothing works all the time!)

5. Now, to increase your holdings (or get your nickel back) say, “I can guess the day of the week you were born within two days. How about another nickel?”

6. Hand over the folded paper with Wednesday written on it.

7. Smile proudly as your nonbeliever nods affirmatively, admitting a Thursday birthday. To be safe, have another nickel ready.

8. Be scientific. Record your results. If necessary, adjust the guess month and guess day you write on the pieces of paper to achieve a higher success rate. Collect more nickels.

9. Be bold. Say, “Now, I’ll guess your birthday, plus or minus six days.” Have a piece of paper with the number 12 written on it.” You’ll be right more than you are wrong. And that’s all anyone can ever expect.

to the top

The How-To Ranch Hand Challenge:
Send a unique How-To trick with step-by-step instructions to:

IM Press
Box 5346
Takoma Park, MD 20913

If accepted, you’ll see your trick published in this space, and receive a LITTLE NED STORIES book and a $10 check. Visit The How-To Cowboy, aka Edward Allan Faine at his website: www.takoma.com/ned/home.htm.

to the top

Kids’ Stuff This Week

Saturday, September 13
Young Salts
Kids ages 4-6 learn about sharks, fossils, lighthouses and creatures in our salty neighbor, Chesapeake Bay. 10am-noon @ Calvert Marine Museum, off Rt. 2, Solomons. $8 w/member discount; rsvp: 410/326-2042 x 45 • www.calvertmarinemuseum.com.

Meet Dixie and Foghorn
Kids of all ages learn about chickens and their role at the park and in nature. Children meet Dixie and Foghorn, resident chickens. Meet at Comfort Station. 2pm @ Kinder Farm Park, Kinder Farm Park Rd., Millersville. free; rsvp: 410/222-6115 • www.kinderfarmpark.org.

Tuesday, September 16
Falling into Storytime
Kids ages 2-6 listen to stories, make fingerplays and create a craft to take home. 9:30am two-year-olds; 10:30am ages 3-6 @ Broadneck Public Library, 1275 Green Holly Dr., Broadneck. free: 410/222-1905.

Summer Grows Old
Kids ages 3-5 learn how nature changes from the end of summer to the beginning of fall. 10:30am @ King’s Landing Park, King’s Landing Rd., Huntington. $1 w/discounts; rsvp: 410/535-5327.

Wednesday, September 17
Nature Explored
Kids ages 3-5 tour the Tawes garden and learn about nature with naturalist Amy Henry. Also hear a nature story. 10:30am and 1pm @ lobby, Tawes State Office Bldg., Department of Natural Resources Information Resource Center, Annapolis. free; rsvp: 410/260-8559.

Worth the Trip
Jay Jay the Jet Plane Flies to Town
Sept. 13-14–Kids of all ages meet and greet Jay Jay the Jet Plane, from the children’s television show. Activities for kids include face painting, balloon animals, arts and crafts. 11am-5pm @ College Park Aviation Museum, Cpl. Frank Scott Dr., College Park. $7; rsvp: 301/864-6029 • www.collegeparkaviationmuseum.com.

to the top



© COPYRIGHT 2003 by New Bay Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.
Last updated September 11, 2003 @ 1:42am