New Quilt of Valor Warms Centenarian Kermit Dyke
Faith and Freedom in Calvert County has awarded its first quilt to World War II veteran Kermit Dyke, 104 years young, on December 22 at the Asbury Retirement Center in Solomons. Mr. Dyke started his career in 1932 as a sergeant in the California National Guard and retired in 1962 as a full colonel from the U.S. Air Force. LCPL Charles Hendrix, USMC, and PFC Esther Tippet, U.S. Army, wrapped the quilt around Mr. Dyke.
Calvert Quilts of Valor meets the second and fourth Sunday of the month from 1 to 4pm in the lower level of the Chesapeake Ranch Estates Administration Building: 410-326-3182.
–Dee Wunder, for
Faith and Freedom QOV of Calvert County
2019 Lothian Ruritan Club Scholarships
The Lothian Ruritan Club is offering 11 $1,000 scholarships to high school seniors in the Southern Anne Arundel County and northern Calvert County service area of our club. Except as noted, all are open to students entering any four-year college, community college or trade school in any field of study.
Applications are available from Daniel Pflum (301-261-9469; [email protected]) and must be completed and postmarked by Monday February 18.
• Lothian Ruritan Community Service Two-Year Scholarship
• J. J. Bernard & Vickie Lerch Scholarship I
• J. J. Bernard & Vickie Lerch Scholarship II
• Friends of the Lothian Ruritan Club Scholarship
• John K. Dorr Memorial Scholarship (Preference given to (a) a member or (b) a relative of a member of the Lothian Ruritan Club.)
• Eric Thiel Scholarship
Rocky Lane Memorial Scholarship for Nursing or Health Sciences (Open only to students pursuing an education in nursing or a health-related field.)
• Francis R. & Clara L. Gouin Scholarship (Open only to students majoring in horticulture, plant science, landscape architecture or environmental science.
• Lois L. Nutwell Memorial Scholarship (Preference will be given to the student with the strongest record of local community service who has declared a major in journalism, American history, archeology or graphic arts.)
• Deale Boy Scout Troop # 741 Scholarship (Eligibility for this scholarship is restricted to Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts currently enrolled in any troop in Southern Anne Arundel County or northern Calvert County. Applicants in any field of study may apply.)
• Skipper’s Pier Restaurant Culinary Arts Scholarship (Open only to students entering a culinary arts or hospitality industry program at any college or trade school.)
–Daniel Pflum, Lothian