Volume VII Number 37
September 16-22, 1999
- On Our Cover: Exploring two ways of sailing -- The Dove, above, takes us back in time to the days of the square
rigger, giving us a look beyond dashing appearances to the harsher realities
of 17th century sailing and life. Photo courtesy of Historic St. Mary's
City, where the Dove resides.
|The Lady Baltimore, below, gives hospice supporters the feel of the wind
and rush of the waves as they follow the Hospice Cup Regatta, racing this
weekend. Read on to share another kind of hospice voyage. Photo courtesy
of Hospice Cup.
- Dock of the Bay
Marion Warren Captures 110 Friends and Neighbors * Bits and
Pieces: $6,200 from 9-9-99 ... Mosquitoes Are with Us ... Bingo for Beanies
& Abby ... No More Shopping - Or Working - At Hechinger's * Sweet Judy
Blue Eyes Sings at Sotterley * Converging on the Trail: Dancers & Daffodils
* A Good Deale of Bluegrass * plus, Way Downstream, In New Hampshire, On
Golden Pond's Squam Lake opens to public ... Canada ejects Jacques Cousteau
Society for harassing whales ... In California, coming soon: state's first
commercial solar plant ... plus, last but not least, this week's Creature
Feature: endangered prairie chicken rescued by secretary of interior.
- Sailing Back in Time on the
Dove by Kent Mountford
-- Lured by the romance of square-rigged ships, the scientist-author goes
aboard and aloft to try the old ways for himself. Back in his comfortable
home and bed, he wonders if such dreamers as he were really born too late.
- Sailing on the Good Ship Hospice by Carol Glover -- This weekend's Hospice
Cup Regatta and parties are, for many, what life is all about. So, others
say, is hospice.
- Bay Bites Broadneck Grill ~ South of the Border
north of the Severn
- Theatrics Anything Goes -- Very well indeed at
Chesapeake Music Hall
- Editorial Bay Health: Stroking Hard, Treading Water
- Letters to the Editor Still Trying To Get in Hot Water; Surplus
Spending? $16 Million Will Buy a Lot of Hay; In Fairhaven Weaves Mother
of All Spiders; Dept. of Corrections
- Bay Reflection Reading Notebook -- Dispatches from the
Front Line of Literacy
- Burton on the Bay The Chesapeake Century
- Chesapeake Outdoors Outdoor News
- Not Just for Kids Scientists are piecing together the
clues of our ancient history, Fossils ...
| Past Issues | Bay
| Where can you get
your Free NBT? | Subscriptions
| Behind New Bay Times |
| Current Issue
New Bay Times Weekly
New Bay Times
Suggestions? Comments? Email NBT's Webmaster
NBT online is hosted by WebWave-LLC.